WHAT IS EPFO?
The Employee Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) is a government body under the Ministry of Labour and Employment that manages and runs the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) service for people who are employed. Under this scheme, the employee is supposed to make a contribution towards their EPF savings and a similar type of contribution is made by the employer as well.
EPFO MEMBER PORTAL
In order to avail the services of EPFO, an individual has to create a member login on the portal and get themselves registered. With this online portal, knowing your EPF balance has become very ease, eliminating the need to wait for yearly receipts.
The website is user-friendly and comes with a convenient user interface that allows you to log in anytime to check status or update the details. Once the account is created online, an intimation SMS is also sent on the member’s registered mobile number regarding the e-passbook.
SCHEMES UNDER EPFO PORTAL
The organization provides with three schemes namely,
|EMPLOYEE PROVIDENT FUND SCHEME, 1952||EMPLOYEE DEPOSIT LINKED INSURANCE SCHEME, 1976||EMPLOYEE PENSION SCHEME, 1995|
|All the organizations with more than 20 people as a workforce are covered under the scheme. The added contribution of both employee and employer along with the interest is given to the employer on retirement as a lump sum amount.||This is an umbrella scheme under which all the employees enrolled for EPF and EPS are covered.
The benefits are given to the nominee(s) or family of the employee insured under this scheme.
|Under this scheme, the contribution is made by the employer and govt. and are paid to the employee after retirement. In case of death of the employee, the benefits are paid to the spouse and two children(under the age of 25 years)|
LOGGING INTO EPFO MEMBER PORTAL
To log in into your Member Portal, you need to follow these steps;
- Open the Member Portal of Employee Provident Fund
- Enter the desired details on the registration as reflected on the main page.
- Ensure the credibility of the details entered, as they would be required every time you log into the portal.
- Once you have filled in the desired details, log into the portal using any one of the documents. For instance, to log in using Aadhaar card, select Aadhaar card under the ‘Select Any One Document’ tab and enter your Aadhaar number. Cross check the details before submitting the details.
- Once the details are submitted, you will receive a PIN on your registered mobile number for authorization.
- Enter the received PIN for authorization to get registered.
- Registration requires filling personal details like name, Date Of Birth, Address, Mobile number etc.
- After successful submission of all details and account creation, you can download your e-passbook.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
- A single mobile number is allowed for registration.
- A single ID number is allowed on one mobile number; although one person can have multiple ID numbers.
- Registration is mandatory for viewing the EPF account passbook. It is required from your employer to upload the electronic challan cum return from May 2012.
- Viewing only one account under a single employer is allowed.
- A maximum of 10 accounts can be viewed under different establishments.
- Creation of a separate account with a login ID and password is not required; your mobile number and one of your ID proofs do the same.
SERVICES OFFERED UNDER EPFO MEMBER PORTAL
A lot of services have been introduced under the umbrella of one organization, EPFO, to simplify the user experience and come up with additional facilities when it comes to tax paying, savings, and account handling.
- UAN OR UNIVERSAL ACCOUNT NUMBER
UAN is the parent scheme introduced by EPFO which covers all the Member IDs an individual possesses given by different employers. It is a 12-digit unique code which is allotted to every employee. It allows the employees to link different EPF accounts to a single code; UAN. With the introduction of UAN, there has been a lot of ease in doing functions like updating PF passbook, updating credentials, transferring old account, linking previous member IDs to the current one, activating information services like SMS service regarding monthly PF contribution, auto-triggered account transfer request on change of employment.
In order to avail all these facilities, the employees are required to create and activate an account at the UAN portal. The same can be used to upload and update KYC details as well.
- e-SEWA SERVICE FOR EMPLOYEES
This service provides with various facilities like downloading UAN card, updating KYC information, transactions related to EPF passbook etc.
- EPF TRANSFER ONLINE
With the introduction of UAN, the PF can be transferred online without any hassle and that too in a completely paperless manner. Although online transfer service was already existing under the ‘Online Transfer Claim Portal’, with UAN this can be done on a single platform.
- NON-FUNCTIONAL ACCOUNTS MANAGEMENT
This facility was introduced in 2015 to cater to the requests relating to dormant and unused EPF accounts. Accounts to which no contribution has been made within the last 36 months come under the category of Dormant or Inoperative Accounts. This option allows employees to transfer or track their old balances and help them get settled based on the details of their previous employment.
- PF WITHDRAWAL
By linking UAN with ID proofs like Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, Driving License etc., online withdrawal of PF has become very easy. An employee is allowed a PF withdrawal post 60 days of resignation from the last employment.
- ONLINE PF PAYMENT
10 banks across the nation have been identified for making arrangements and collecting PF dues from the employer online. The Ministry of Finance (MoF) has made it mandatory for all establishments to make PF payments online.
- ALERTS OVER SMS AND CALL
The members who have activated their UAN account are facilitated with the SMS and call service to know the status of their respective accounts. Details regarding last contribution, passbook, overall contribution, KYC details, total balance etc. can be asked for over SMS or by giving a missed call on the number 011-22901406. The SMS can be sent to the number 7738299899.
Also in case of a missed deposit, an SMS alert is sent to the member.
- CLAIM AND PASSBOOK STATUS
Members can view and download their passbook online and are also enabled to check their claim status as well. KYC updating can also be done.
- GRIEVANCE HANDLING
One of the most important aspects of customer management is properly handling the grievance redressal system. Employers, as well as members, are also allowed to raise a complaint regarding issues in PF withdrawal, PF transfer, pension etc. within a span of maximum 15 days, almost all complaints are taken care of.
With consistent monitoring, the number of complaints has reduced exponentially from about 20,000 to approximately 2500.