With the introduction of a concept called PAN in 1972, the Govt of India created a unique identity of every tax paying individual. Prior to PAN the concept of GIR system was introduced but due to its manual nature, it did not become successful. Whereas PAN being semi-electronic initially and then eventually become fully online gained much popularity due to its reach and ease of use.
The PAN was made compulsory under the India Tax Act, 1961, section 139A.
WHAT IS PAN?
A PAN is a 10-digit identification document issued by the Govt of India. The 10- digit code is alpha-numeric and is unique to every individual. It is mandatory for every tax-payer to possess a PAN card. Read https://www.piggy.co.in/blog/checking-your-pan-application-status/ to know about PAN application and more details.
KNOW YOUR PAN
Know your pan is the service under which the taxpayers are provisioned to access details relating to PAN card or general details. The following details can be accessed through know your pan;
1. General details
2. PAN-based on name and DOB
3. PAN card status
HOW TO USE ‘KNOW YOUR PAN’?
Verifying the following details can be done using know your PAN
Step 1: visit the income-tax department official website.
Step 2: click ‘Register Yourself’
Step 3: choose your specific user type and click ‘Continue’
Step 4: furnish your credentials
Step 5: click ‘Submit’
Step 6: on the registered email address you will receive the activation link. Click on the link to activate the account.
Once the account gets activated, you can access it to fetch the required details.
Let us see how;
Step 1: Login to the activated account
Step 2: Click ‘Profile Settings’
Step 3: Click ‘My Account’
The following details will be furnished
1. Name of the account holder
3. PAN number
5. PAN status
6. Address of the account holder
HOW TO ACCESS THE PAN CARD NUMBER?
With the credentials being saved online in respective accessee accounts, the upkeep of ID numbers has become very easy. Under the following procedure, the PAN number can be identified online;
Step 1: Login to the income tax’s official e-filing website
Step 2: Click ‘Know your pan’
Step 3: Fill in your first name, middle name, and surname, Date of Birth (in case of an individual) or Date of Incorporation (in case of a company).
Step 4: Fill in the ‘Captcha Code’ as reflecting on the screen.
Step 5: Click ‘Submit’
On successful submission of the required details, the following particulars will be reproduced;
1. FIRST NAME
2. MIDDLE NAME
4. PAN CARD NUMBER
5. JURISDICTION UNDER WHICH YOU ARE RULED
6. STATUS OF THE CARD- ACTIVE OR INACTIVE
NEEDS AND BENEFITS OF PAN
1. For direct taxpaying
2. Registration of new venture
3. For income tax paying
4. For undertaking financial transactions like sale and purchase of property, vehicle etc.
5. NRE to NRO fund transfer
6. Global money remittance
7. Insurance policy worth Rs.50000 or more
8. Shares worth Rs.50000 or more
9. S/P of immovable property worth Rs.500000 or more
10. S/P of a vehicle other than a two-wheeler
11. Payment at hotel or restaurant of Rs.25000 or more
12. Mutual fund schemes
13. Bank deposits of Rs.50000 or more
14. As ID proof for getting connections like telephone, internet etc.
Identity and address proofs, DOB proofs are required to apply for PAN card;
ID PROOF DOCUMENTS
1. Voter card
3. Aadhar card
4. Ration card with photo
5. Driving license
6. A photo ID card issued by central or state or PSU
7. Arm’s license
8. Health scheme card issued by Central Govt.
9. Pensioner card with photograph
ADDRESS PROOF DOCUMENTS
1. Landline telephone bill
2. Electricity bill
3. Voter ID with photograph
5. Aadhar card
6. Bank account statement
7. Spouse’s passport
8. Credit card statements
9. Post office passbook with applicants address
10. Latest property tax assessment order
11. Govt. allotted domicile certificate
12. Driving license
13. Documents of property registration
DATE OF BIRTH PROOF DOCUMENTS
1. Birth certificate issued by either municipal authority or similar authorized body
2. Indian consulate issued birth certificate
3. Matriculation certificate from CBSE or similarly recognized boards
4. Aadhar card
5. Driving license
7. Pension card
8. Marriage certificate
9. Magistrate signed affidavit stating DOB
FAQ’S RELATED TO ‘KNOW YOUR PAN’
Q1. How can I check my PAN details?
The PAN status can be checked online in three simple steps:
1. Visit the official tax e-filing website
2. Fill in the details in the ‘know your PAN’ option
3. Receive an OTP on the registered number
4. Enter OTP to check PAN status
Q2. How to know PAN number online?
Checking PAN number online is quite simple. Just log into the NSDL PAN website, go to ‘Know Your PAN’, and enter the ‘Captcha Code’ and ‘Submit’.
Q3. How can I track my pan card?
Pan card be tracked based on acknowledgment number by following steps;
1. Visit the pan track official website
2. Select ‘PAN-New/Change Request’ as the application type.
3. Type in the acknowledgment number and ‘Submit’.